As a Mercury safe dentist, we are aware of the potential for excess exposure to mercury when removing amalgam fillings, and have adapted a number of protocols for reducing the amount of mercury exposure to the patients who are interested, during amalgam removal.
- Providing you with an alternative air source
- Using a cold-water spray to minimize mercury vapors
- Putting a dental dam in your mouth so you don’t swallow or inhale any toxins
- Using a high-volume evacuator near the tooth at all times to evacuate the mercury vapor
- Washing your mouth out immediately after the fillings have been removed (the dentist should also change gloves after the removal)
- Immediately cleaning your protective wear and face once the fillings are removed
MERCURY SAFE REMOVAL
Our protocol consists of the following safety procedures recommended by IOAMT:
- Eye protection for patient to protect during mercury removal from mercury vapor & mercury particulate
- Providing oxygen as alternative air source to minimize inhaling Mercury vapors
- Mercury vapor filter to reduce mercury vapor levels during mercury filling removals
- Ionizer , blowing across patient’s face to reduce mercury vapor
- “Clean-Up” apparatus fits over tooth attached to suction machine line during mercury filling removal, to reduce mercury vapor levels
- Using a cold-water spray on tooth during mercury filling removal to minimize mercury vapors
Mercury separator which prevents 99% of mercury going out into the waste water. Amalgam separators are devices that are installed on dental unit vacuum lines in order to catch all waste amalgam and other solid materials, before it is discharged into the public sewer system.
The main reason why it is now important to reduce amalgam waste discharge from dental office comes from the urgency of local wastewater treatment plants to lower their mercury output.
The American Dental Association’s “Best Management Practices for Amalgam Waste“ (BMPs) include the use of amalgam separators. Although there is no national regulation requiring the installation of amalgam separators, here at DENTAL EXCELLENCE, we practice Green Dentistry and want to take great care of our patients and environment.
If you have questions about mercury, mercury toxicity or symptoms of mercury toxicity contact us for more information.
Mercury: The Poison in Your Teeth offers conclusive and quantitative proof that not only do amalgam/silver fillings release toxic mercury vapor – but that the common act of brushing just one amalgam filling will release more mercury than allowed by governmental regulatory agencies at the workplace.
The International Association of Mercury Safe Dentists (IAMSD) was founded in 1998 by Dr. Tom McGuire, the leading authority on Mercury Safe Dentistry. Membership is comprised of dentists who are holistic, Mercury Free (Amalgam/Silver Filling Free), and Occupationally Mercury Safe.
Our dental practice is dedicated to educating our patients. As a member of International Association of Mercury Safe Dentists (IAMSD) we work closely with the association to support our goal of providing important information to our patients about many oral health topics that can affect overall health, including issues related to mercury amalgam (silver) fillings.
Click here to view the FAQ section: www.dentalwellness4u.com
Dr. Sheri is a whole health and natural path focused mouth doctor. She is interested in the dental contributions to medical symptoms and overall natural wellness. Dr. Sheri takes a comprehensive view of dentistry. Dr. Salartash is a member of Biological Dentist in the InternationalAcademy of Biological Dentistry and Medicine. She is also a member of the Weston A. Price Foundation and seeks to help patients with not just dentistry, but healthy bodies and healthy lifestyles. She has studied Spear’s Occlusion, Straight Wire Orthodontics, Orthodontics Appliance Therapy, Trudenta or Dentomandibular Sensorimotor Dysfunction Therapy, Functional Cosmetics and Aesthetics, sleep apnea appliances and courses in holistic dentistry that concentrates on whole body health. Her office provides comprehensive dental care such as orthodontics, cosmetic dentistry, soft tissue laser procedures, implants, whitening and of course preventative care.
Dental Excellence sets itself apart in their whole health and naturalistic approach. They utilize low dose digital x-rays, the office is mercury free and they follow mercury safe removal. Dental Excellence uses only the highest quality, bio-compatible materials for fillings. The office has advanced water filter system and offers NU Calm as a natural relaxation technique instead of nitrous-oxide. Dr. Sheri is a new mom herself and is dedicated to providing you and your family with the best, healthiest and most positive experience possible. Feel free to contact Dr. Sheri anytime to talk!